Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Are you a Joiner?


 I recently attended the meeting of a local quilt guild and it was such a delight to be in the company of these women that all share the same passion of quilt making and related projects. When I am in the company of very talented quilters I usually am intimidated by their amazing talents, but then I realize we all have to start somewhere.  I remember the wisdom of the advice by Warren Buffett:
"It’s better to hang out with people better than you. Pick out associates whose behavior is better than yours and you’ll drift in that direction.”   I doubt Mr. Buffett was discussing quilt circles at the time, however...the same principle applies.  We can always learn and improve ourselves when we surround ourselves with those we can learn from. I will probably join this group with not only the hope of improving my quilting skills, but to also forge new friendships with people in my community. It's a win- win situation.

Yup...I'm a joiner...as are many of my fellow human beings are.  The significance of this has really become evident as we still are seeking ways to connect with each other in the era of COVID. It is so refreshing to meet face to face beyond the realm of "Zoom land". 

So I was thinking today about all the different groups I belong to and how our group affiliation changes throughout our lifetime.  Currently I belong to a church, a women's Bible Study at another church, a craft group, two writer's groups, two National Parks organizations and soon to be a member of a quilting guild.  Then I could also mention several on-line groups with my targeted interests and geographic location. The Facebook group for my town has proved to be a very valuable tool for finding everything from which restaurant to choose to the best mechanic. So my predisposition of joining groups fits in with my extroverted personality.  So there are those that would prefer to keep to themselves.  This reminds me of this clever meme that really brought a chuckle to me while coping through the COVID isolation:


So what groups do you belong to and how have they impacted and changed your life?  It's kind of fun to think about and it's also a specific way to define your interests and count your blessings. Sometimes when we stop to think about the characteristics of our personality and interests it helps to provide goals and a framework on how we can improve our participation with those groups. 

Our group affiliations definitely change over our lifetime. Probably the first group I joined (that I can remember)was the Girl Scouts. I hold so many fond memories of camping, great songs and believe it or not...I do remember the work and skills I learned working on various merit badges. 

Fast forward to college days: my freshman year I joined a social sorority. I have to confess I originally pursued joining a sorority not so much for the camaraderie and the social aspects, but I wanted a nicer place to live than the dorms.  I had heard many stories about dorm living and I wanted a better (and er...cleaner..) place to live while I pursued my degree.  Although, in hind sight it was a great decision and many of the friendships I forged at my sorority: Alpha Chi Omega have endured. I will be an Alpha Chi for life and I was pleasantly surprised that it became so much more than just a place to live. To this day, I am still in touch with several of my sorority sisters.

Also, during my college days I joined the Society of Professional Journalists, Sigma Delta Chi. At the time it was awesome and wonderful training for a career in journalism. I also went to their convention in Washington, D.C. and was truly inspired to plunge into work as a journalist. Well, the path of life takes many turns and I ended up not pursuing a "traditional" role as a journalist. So this is one group membership that I let lapse, however I don't regret my experiences with them.

So life milestones and stages of our life can be marked by the groups to which we belong.  One of the biggest shocks for me, feeling like a splash of cold water in my face, was the letter I received stating I was eligible to join AARP.  For all you youngsters out there that don't have to even think about this...it stands for the American Association of Retired Persons.  Now I needed to rationalize this with the simple thought the requirement for membership in AARP is only 50.  Most people don't actual retire until age 65. Still....it made me feel OLD.  Nevertheless, I am not knocking AARP. They do great things to help "older" people and I really enjoy the monthly magazine.

I have learned so much from the variety of groups that I have had the pleasure of calling myself a member. My hope is that I can give back and enhance the group in some small way. And how can I forget support groups, they are an important facet to help us with some of the difficulties that life might throw our way. I wanted to end this blog with this great cartoon about support groups. Brought a smile to my day:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...