Sunday, October 18, 2015

"Fluoride Feminism"

"Men weren't really the enemy -- they were fellow victims suffering from an outmoded masculine mystique that made them feel unnecessarily inadequate when there were no bears to kill."--Betty Friedan

Is Feminism Relevant today? I have my own answer to that question, but I am enjoying
searching the ins and outs of the topics one covers when pondering that question.  When on a college campus in the late 70's, I was at the tail end of the feminist revolution of the 60's and in the midst of what Betty Friedan called the "Second Stage" of Feminism. Friedan advocated growth for both men and women and support for the family unit. Feminist ideals have always been important to me, and learning what women before me have struggled for has been important: I don't ever want to take for granted those everyday liberties that women use.
In conversations with women younger than myself, I frequently get the impression that the concept of Feminism is strictly an "historical" reference in their lives and not relevant to day to day living.  I believe Feminism should not be relegated to the history books, there is more growth needed.  Each generation can learn from the evolving precepts of Feminism.
  In  their book: Manifesta: Young Women, Feminism, and the Future,Jennifer Baumgarnder and Amy Richards, (both born in 1970) write: "For anyone born after the early 1960s, the presence of feminism in our lives is taken for granted. We scarcely notice that we have it--it's simply in the water."
 The development of some of the feminist ideals should not remain stagnant.  So that is why I read about, write about and talk about feminism today. More thoughts to come....

7 comments:

  1. I have read your post and still have the impression that whenever feminism comes up it somehow implies everything that a woman is unhappy about is somehow the fault of men. Even the premise that men are "suffering from an "outmoded masculine mystique" is a woman's view that there is something wrong with men. Men are not complaining of an "outmoded masculine mystique", women are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK....granted you may have a point that SOME women may be blaming men, but one of my points is that not all Feminists are "male bashers" and haters of men. I consider myself a Feminist, but I still love men....and it's a good thing because I married one and have 3 sons, no daughters. I just feel that alot can be learned by both sexes about the restrictions/limitations put on individuals because of their sex. Can't we view a person for who they are as an individual, not their sex?

      Delete
  2. I'm all for gender equality and I'd say western society has progressed by leaps and bounds towards that end. To call such a movement the Feminist movement is slowly becoming out dated as well, The topics of rape, equal pay, and educational opportunity affect everyone, regardless of gender, or race for that matter. There will likely always be room for improvement in these arenas, like you said, "there is more growth needed." However, I believe that the label and definition of feminism should be revisited and be reworked to reflect social issues across both genders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel, you have a valid point...perhaps the term "Feminism" has become dated. I truly believe that the concepts are still there, but the way in which we talk about it is dated. People have a notion of what it means to be a Feminist from the 1960's, and it really doesn't seem to encompass the needs of both men and women of today. Yet, on the same note,Civil Rights are still a concern but do we feel it necessary to change our language when we speak of a "civil rights activist". I personally find it sad that so many today find such negative connotations with the word "Feminist". Do we change the word or peoples way of thinking? At this point, I am not sure which would work better.

      Delete
    2. I think that perhaps the term "civil rights" does need to change. When the term is used it brings to my mind the rights of the African American being trampled on by a white majority. While these rights are still being abused, it is a wider problem than just for Whites and African Americans. This issue extends across any environment where there is a majority and a minority and it does not always involve whites. The Irish, Italian, Jewish Mexican, Chinese, and Japanese were also equally discriminated against at various times, yet when we use the term "civil rights", only the African American struggles come to mind.

      Delete
  3. Men and women have always been influenced a great deal in their attitudes toward the opposite sex by their family experiences.. There will always be some who dislike and mistrust men or women. It is dangerous and unfair to believe that feminism should be defined by those people. To me, the point of the article was that even if middle and upper class women are making great strides in gender equality in the workplace and in the family structure, people in lower classes have not seen this gain. It is to help them, that the article was addressed. Are we not in danger of making sweeping generalizations without much scientific study to back them up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelyn, Thank-you for your feedback. It is sad to think that gender equality is a privilege sought by middle and upper class women, and women in the lower classes...perhaps the ones that need it more, are not able to see the benefits. As contemporary feminists, we should seek growth for ALL classes.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...