Friday, July 28, 2023

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the process of "melding" two blogs into one, for several reasons.  It's a long story, but I still want to be able to maintain two separate areas of focus for placement of my writings: one for travel: americandestinations.net and the other for all the other interests that I write about: julieetta1982blogspot.com

So I am a strong advocate for fighting against the phrase "you can't teach an old dog new tricks."  I always like to TRY to learn new stuff and like to think that I can pick up on new ways of doing things. Yet, it's really scary sometimes to take the plunge.  Just like this birdie, I wish I could just keep using a parachute.  Sometimes to proceed without the parachute, I have to consider what would be the end result without the parachute.  So yesterday I spend at least 3 hours transferring all 110 blogs from my site (and some on my computer) to a flash drive.  Now they are safely tucked away in case my "parachute" fails. So I did take the plunge and purchase a new domain address for my original blog and it is now operated by the same web development platform as my travel blog: WIX . However, I am not really sure what that means in terms of how it will function and what it will look like? Guess time will tell, but I have a few things I hope to accomplish with this new change.

So I started my first blog almost 10 years ago (Wow, hard to believe it's been 10 years!) Then after learning a few basics...completely self-taught, I started another blog that I could funnel all my travel features into and it helped me collect the material needed for the publication of my National Parks book, I have learned so much about blogging, writing, computer usage and formatting throughout this process and almost all of my efforts have been self guided.  I do remember getting some feedback from others who operated their own blogs and yes that was helpful.  Yet the step by step processes had to be more of a trial and error basis. Even back then, I wish I would have had a mentor to guide me through some of the steps. In hindsight, it many ways I have been my own mentor: teaching my self along the way. So in that respect, Oprah is right...allowing myself to "see the hope inside yourself".  Nothing like "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps", but there were many times I wish I had an outside source to help some of the questions that I just couldn't find answers to. 

Some subject matters lend themselves to hands-on mentoring....like quilting. In recent years I have expanded my interest in quilting and when I joined a local quilting guild (Willow River Piecemakers Quilt Guild-terrific group!!) I have access to a whole group of very talented quilters whom have really helped me improve my skills and inspire me to pursue new creations. Any quilter will tell you you can never have too many on-going projects! It's easy to get inspired for the next big thing.

On the other hand, writing, blogging and publishing is by nature a more solitary process because everyone has differing expectations.  Many of the techniques and how-to's on the computer can be learned via help desks and "chats", but it is hard to find one to one personal assistance.  Over the years I read books, articles and used on-line help to set-up both my blogs and to help me write and publish my books. It sometimes has been an arduous task to figure out and achieve what I was, and still am trying, to accomplish. Sometimes when you find a key source, you can find delight in it helping you along the way.  When I started blogging and free lance writing 10 years ago, one of my key sources became, in essence, a mentor to me: Kristen Lamb.  She is an author and a blogger who has written several books about writing.  My favorite book of hers really provided many insights and helped to navigate the nuances of both blogging and the publishing industry.  Her book is: Rise of the Machines, Human Authors in a Digital World.  It's an awesome and interesting book.  It seemed so cutting edge when I purchased it (Copywrite 2013), and even now it has great value, but it's truly amazing how rapidly this industry changes. Nevertheless, thanks so much Kristen.

This blog post itself is an experiment as to how and where it will be posted and what it looks like to my readers. So other than all the above mentioned aids to helping me with blogs and publishing, guess I just have to take the plunge and leave my parachute behind. Wish me luck.                                                                                                                  Julie E. Smith

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on being open to change and learning new things. That is hard to do.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...