Saturday, July 8, 2023

The Road Less Traveled


It is funny how simple changes in our routine and going outside our "comfort zone" can really open one's eyes to new things and new experiences.  Something as simple as a road detour can bring an interesting twist to your day.  Some of my inspiration for this blog post is reminiscent of Robert Frost's poem: The Road Not Taken.  It has always been one of my favorites:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

That particular poem has been interpreted in so many ways. It also probably is different for everyone in different life circumstances. For me and at this time, it really says to me that it's rewarding to find new pathways...both literally and figuratively speaking. Here's a perfect example from my recent travels in my own town.  We found out that work would be done on a bridge close to our neighborhood on a county road that happens to be our main pathway to town (we live on the far east side of town and basically have to go this way to get anywhere else.) There are two detours that definitely take the long way around, but frankly they are very pretty drives. Our initial reaction included groans of exasperation followed by an acceptance and appreciation that at least the bridge is being improved before something bad happened. So we keep taking the long way and have learned to be more effective about planning our trips.  It truly is nice that I am seeing part of this area that under normal circumstances I would never see. 

Simplistic beauty of a country road

This particular corner on our detour takes us by this big beautiful barn.  The whole scene with the curvy road, stately maple trees and the big red barn is just picture perfect; makes the drive that much nicer. If it were winter, this curvy road could be icy and a bit treacherous....but it's not. It is summer: the fields of corn are abundant, the trees and wildflowers are diverse and it makes for a lovely drive....even if it is a bit longer.

So admiring the Grant Wood beauty of this scene and barn, I started wondering about some of the unique round barns that I know can be found in Wisconsin.  Inquiring minds need to know ...so I did my research and found out that at one time there were over 215 round barns in Wisconsin. Since the round barn style was more common from 1880 to the 1930s it was a very common way to build a barn and made more sense both economically and the feasibility of  building usage.  With the advent of electricity and newer methods of milking, it was easier to electrify a rectangular shaped barn. So the round style  became a thing of the past, but when you happen to come upon one, if it is still standing... it is a unique reflection of historical agriculture. 

 I also discovered that the state of Wisconsin has more round barn structures than any state in the U.S.  The state of Indiana runs a close second on that probably by virtue of the large Amish population in the state.  The Amish were known to prefer building round barns and were able to perfect the building techniques for them.  They also utilized the unique shape for milking and also grain storage without the use of electrification. 

New Richmond (Erin Prairie Township, built 1914)

So I did a little poking around on the internet and I found an amazing list of all the historical round barns in the state of Wisconsin.  If you are curious to find one in your area you can find the list at:www.dalejtravis.com/rblist/rbwi.htm 

So I was amazed to find there was one VERY close to my house.  I grabbed my camera and hopped in the car to go snap some photos.  It was easy to find with the help of Dale Travis's detailed list. It also made me realize I may want to go on a scavenger hunt of sorts to photograph more of these unique and historical structures. I took many photos of this unique barn and wish I could have taken more of the interior structure. However, no one was at home at the time to get permission.  Sometimes the interiors show how solidly they were built and also the unique grain and feed storage areas. In any case, I took several shots of this unique barn.

New Richmond (Erin Prairie Township, built 1914)

So I did discover that the highest concentration of round barns in the WORLD is right here in Wisconsin in Vernon County. There are 17 left in that county at last count, but previously the numbers of round barns were much higher in that area. Vernon County borders the Mississippi and encompasses a "driftless" glacial area and the terrain has gently rolling hills   There is also a very large population of Amish in the area so it is no small wonder that so many of the traditional round barns had been constructed in this area. Some of the barns are of newer construction, but the majority of them were built between 1890 and 1930.  Most of the barns were used for dairy farming.

Round barn in Vernon County Wisconsin

 Another round barn in Wisconsin that is worthy of note is found in northern region of Iron County near Hurley. It is located directly across from the Montreal River from Ironwood, Michigan. The round barn was built in 1917 and is an impressive structure made entirely from field stones.  Can you imagine the labor involved in constructing it? It is listed on Wisconsin's National Register of Historic Places.

Annala Round Barn in Hurley, WI. (Built 1917)

So remember next time you come upon a detour, both literally and figuratively speaking, a journey on that detour can sometimes bring new and thought provoking sights and experiences.  Happy Travels along the way on the Road less traveled.   Julie E. Smith


4 comments:

  1. Excellent read. You are an extremely talented writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Gail...thanks! This was a fun one to write!

      Delete

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...