Monday, January 30, 2023

1959


What an awesome year it was....1959. Alaska and Hawaii both became states and "official" members of these United States and also.... I was born. Perhaps not exactly a banner event, but I love sharing my "birthday" with both Alaska and Hawaii. Since we did come to being in the same year I have always had a desire to visit those two exotic locals.  I know that both states had a long, diverse history prior to becoming part of the U.S., but nevertheless, 1959 is significant for all three of us.

I know many things were going on in '59 that are worthy of note.  Here's just a sampling: Fidel Castro's forces were victorious in the Cuban revolution. Xerox launched the first commercial copier. Work began on the formulation of a birth control pill (it didn't hit the market until 1960) The United States launched the Vanguard II weather satellite. Then sadly, also in 1959, the event that later was called the "Day the Music died": a chartered plane transporting musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper crashed in foggy conditions near Clear Lake, Iowa killing all four occupants on board including the pilot: Roger Peterson.  Don Mclean's classic song "American Pie" (1971) included a memorial to these musicians paying tribute to them singing of "the day the music died". A sad event, but a classic song that most Baby Boomers know all the words to. 

While looking back to the year 1959, many journalists and reports claimed it was a turning point in this country on many levels: cultural, economic and also the roles of men and women.  Since I was born in 1959, I would never be destined to be constrained by the role of a 1950's housewife.  Any perceptions o that lifestyle would only be seen by me in black and white re-runs of "Leave it to Beaver".  I feel fortunate that many of the Feminist ideals of equality had already been forged ahead  long before the time I even thought about relationships, marriage and the battle of the sexes...both  in the workplace and the personal level.  Yes, 1959 was a banner year...but what really struck me that those two most amazing states gained statehood the same year I was born! Not exactly sure when it happened, but BOTH of those states were added to my list of places I really wanted to visit.

                                           Thompson Pass near Valdez, Alaska

So I have made great progress on my bucket list with Alaska.  My sister-in-law and brother- in- law live there and we have made several fun journeys there,  Then in 2014, my son moved there and has established himself there. Pretty sure he's going to stay. I tallied our trips to the state that has been pegged "The Last Frontier" and it currently stands at 6 trips. Sounds like six times would be enough, but there are so many varied things to see, that it is always a treat to see something new when we go up to see family. Plus, as long as I have family there...I will go. There are many places in Alaska I have yet to explore!

Next month I will be able to check off Hawaii, our 50th state, on my Bucket List. (Well, let's just say the Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.)  I am so incredibly excited and everything is well planned. Yet, not too well planned...you have to have some room for spontaneity. I have always planned our own trips by myself, (and many internet searches and trips to the library), but I was really intimidated by this one. Especially coordinating flights between islands, so I enlisted the help of a travel agent and I am sure glad I did.  But time will tell how smoothly everything will go. Nothing will be absolutely the way you expect it.  I found found that in life that I need to be flexible with my expectations and reality.  Nevertheless, I am so very excited and am "pre-viewing" (via the Internet) some of the gorgeous sights that I hope to see myself.  Here are the stunning Wailua Falls in Kauai.

Gorgeous, Huh?! These serene falls were shown on the opening credits of the television show  Fantasy Island(the original from the early 80's, not the reboot.) Yes...I am old enough to remember the original with Mr. Rourke and Tattoo.  When we are there, we will have to watch for "Da' Plane....Da Plane!! "  What a heart warming show, even if is was a bit sappy. 

So I am sure that upon my return, I will have plenty to write about.
Until then...ALOHA.        Julie E. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...