Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Scrapbooker's Nirvana

Yes, Nirvana....paradise for a Scrapbooking aficionado: Stamp & Scrapbook Expo. This past weekend I recently attended the expo in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with 3 of my girlfriends.  We had absolutely the BEST time and not only did we have hours to dabble and explore the possibilities of our hobby & craft, but the "girl time" together was priceless.
Perhaps that is one of the reasons scrapbooking and card making/rubber stamping has become so incredibly popular; not only is it oodles of fun but it is also a wonderful activity to share with other women.  Kind of a modern day Quilting Bee. Definitely mostly women I might add. At the show I noticed that an overwhelming amount of the crowd were women.  Any men present were either exhibitors manning the booths or husbands, in tow, looking bedraggled and really not wanting to be there.  The women, on the other hand, were exuberant and thrilled to have all the tools of the trade and new products for their craft all available under one roof.  I knew this type of hobby was big, but I had no idea how "universal" until I went to this Expo. And big it is...the Stamp & Scrapbook Expo. holds expos literally coast to coast. To find one close to you and details on what happens at an expo., here is their web site: scrapbookexpo.com.
     When I first arrived at the expo., I was like a deer in headlights...so much to look at, so incredible to take it all it. Also, classes are offered and an abundance of "make and take" projects are readily available.  Since this was my first expo., I did not sign up for classes.  I just wanted to explore what was available. So I basically shopped and shopped and then shopped a little more. How could one shop for hours like that you say?! Well....when I am scrapbook shopping I am thinking of projects in my mind's eye...virtual scrapbooking, shall we say.  At this expo, almost all the retail prices were very discounted: I would say I got some really good deals. I know prices on this stuff, because I have been doing this for over 20 years.  Actually, I was doing scrapbooking before it was "cool" or before they even called it "scrapbooking". I put together an album of my trip to Paris my senior year in HS and I remember saving ticket stubs and menus to put in amongst the photographs.
     The variety of products were amazing. Here is a photo of just a sampling of the items I picked out.  The die-cuts were really detailed and the quality really stood out-not the kind of thing you can just find anywhere. My friends that went with me were focused more on card making, rubber stamps and paper crafting, but nevertheless the techniques used in those crafts overlap with many of the scrapbooking techniques....so as it turns out, we were all delighted. I am so glad that I went and I would go to another;if and when the opportunity arises. I highly recommend attending an expo for any crafter who pursues scrapping or stamping! A fantastic and joyful Girls Day Out!     Keep Scrapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...