Thursday, April 7, 2016

What on Earth did we do before Facebook?

This is not a slam against Facebook, although maybe it should be. I am a willing participant in the world of Facebook (FB) and usually partake in it on a daily basis.
Yet like most things in life, I feel it can be a mixed blessing and I think it's important to assess how we spend our time. Betty White, a delightful and funny actress, made the comment:
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/facebook.html
I didn't know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, I have to say, it sounds like a huge waste of time. Betty White
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/facebook.html

I didn't know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, I have to say, it sounds like a huge waste of time. Betty White
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/betty_white.html
" I didn't know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, I have to say, it sounds like a huge waste of time."  Even though she is from an older generation I have always considered her in touch with what's current and her comment is both funny and eye-opening at the same time.  It can be a waste of time, but like many behaviors that start out fun can lead to addiction if used in excess. Yes, I am using the word "addiction" to drive my point home.  Granted, the seriousness of extensive FB use pales in comparison to alcoholism or drug use, however it's over use can still cause problems and really be an incredible "time suck" taking away a person's more productive use of time. I am not advocating getting rid of FB entirely....if you enjoy it, which I do, by all means spend a little time enjoying funny cat videos and amazing demos of recipes.  I am trying to encourage both myself and others not to get "sucked into" hours of back and forth time on FB.  My message here is to encourage the use of FB as dessert. Perhaps it should be an activity that you do once all your other work is done.  As a writer and blogger, it is much too easy for me to slip "over" to FB and never make it back to the work at hand.

       I was prompted to write this while I am in the midst of reading: Eat that Frog  21 Great ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time by Brian Tracy.  Great book with many pointers about organizational skills and time management. The title is intriguing and has a way of really getting your attention and helping you to remember the author's point.
Mark Twain once said that if you eat a live frog first thing in the morning, than you'll know it's the worst thing you'll have to do all day.
Using "eat the frog" as a metaphor for tackling the most challenging things of your day-and your life in general- it will help you to stop procrastinating.
     Brian Tracy devotes an entire chapter to how technology does improve our lives and was put into place to improve and enhance our communications, "but do not allow yourself to become a slave to it."  I could not agree with him more, but it so very easy to fall into a trap of allowing it (specifically internet use) to model our behaviors and have it "rule" you instead of the other way around.  Technology should be there to serve us.
     Granted, Facebook is a terrific way to keep in touch with your family & friends.  Like so many families, my family is literally from  coast to coast and it is hard to stay in touch. Yet, is is fun to see notes and photos from near and far.  That fact I am not arguing, but I am trying to promote moderation in this activity that can really eat up your time.  And I am scolding myself just as much as the next guy: I am trying to discipline myself to use my time well.  So if we are using metaphors, I think I will choose a little more palatable one with reference to Facebook usage: A glass of wine or two is a good thing...but too much in one sitting can have negative consequences. I am going to try to treat FB as a pleasant diversion....NOT to be used in excess. So Eat that Frog first, preferably with a nice glass of Chardonnay,  then you can enjoy your Facebook time. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...