Saturday, April 30, 2016

Happy Tai Chi Day!


Happy Tai Chi Day everyone! Not exactly a Hallmark holiday, but worthy of note. The last Saturday in April has been designated International Tai Chi Day: a day to practice the art and gain a better understanding of this practice originating with the Chinese. I did my part today by attending my Tai Chi class.  I signed up this spring, my first time, and I really enjoy the class. My instructor, Ken, explained that the day was chosen as an international celebration. Today it is celebrated in more than 80 countries. The day was established in 1999 to also educate more people on the health benefits of Tai Chi and raise awareness of the increasing use of traditional Chinese medicine.
 Even though I am still a novice, I know that it really helps in so many aspects: both physically and emotionally.  It helps my coordination, balance and concentration. It looks easy, but just try coordinating your arms and legs to move in the way they are supposed to move in the correct sequence.  It is really a workout for the brain as well. Yet, in addition to a "work-out" for your brain, at the same time it can bring centering, peace and a great sense of well-being.  The visualization techniques that are used with the physical poses are so beneficial in creating the movements. One of my favorite visualizations is; "the Crane spreads his wings..." I am just a middle-aged, fat white lady.....but that visualization really speaks to me and helps me to feel at least a little more graceful.

Tai Chi is graceful and methodical, but sometimes in class it is evident that it stems from the Martial Arts and several defensive movements can be seen in the routines.
I told my son David that when I am in Tai Chi class, it gives me a whole new appreciation for the Kill Bill movie and makes me want to watch the movie again in slow motion to see the detailed movements.  If you're not familiar with Kill Bill, it is a Quentin Tarantino movie, that like many of his movies, has quite a bit of "stylized" violence. Yes, sometimes I have to shut my eyes...a little too violent for me. However the choreography of the Martial Arts sequences are mesmerizing.  Tai Chi itself is a methodical, centering practice that really helps balance & coordination, but since it stems from the Martial Arts, some of the moves are defensive in nature. So sometimes in class, maybe I am not visualizing the "Crane spreading her wings"...but maybe there is just a bit of Uma Thurman in me...look out Lucy Liu!

Many local park programs have Tai Chi classes available. I found mine at the Mundelein Park District:mundeleinparks.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...