Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Metaphors in Faith


 For many years, I have felt one of the best explanations of my belief in God is the metaphor of the spirit of God is like the wind. One can't touch the wind or directly see the wind, but you certainly can see the affects of it on a fall day when it works to free the leaves from the trees. The wind exists, it is real. God exists even though we don't see God face to face we still see the action that takes place when God is at work. 

You can speak to the wind and your voice will likely be carried away, but when you speak to God you know you will be heard. I also am reminiscent of an old song (1972) that I really loved as a young girl. It is by Rick Springfield: Speak to the Sky:

Speak to the sky when ever things go wrong

And you know you're not talkin' to the air, to the air

And the world will look better from up there

Speak to the sky 'cause things can get ya down

And you know when you're talkin' to the Lord, to the Lord

The world will look better than before......

It's all right

Cause I speak to the sky every night.

 A multi-layered metaphor I think...and speaking to the sky is a wonderful metaphor for prayer. 

As a writer, I seek to use the English language to the very best of my ability.  That being said, I have frequently confused metaphors and similes.  In researching the topic, I have found that it is very easy to mix up the two figures of speech.  They have slight distinctions. A metaphor is a figure of speech that uses an implied comparison to draw a connection between two  unrelated things, thereby making them easier to understand. A simile uses comparative words ( "like" and "such as") whereas metaphors do not.  An example of a simile would be: " She had cheeks like roses." Then of course it's fun to think about what happens with the use of "mixed metaphors." There are an abundance of those that can be quite entertaining. Here's a few fun ones:
  • Don’t judge a book before it’s hatched.
  • Until the pigs freeze over.
  • "But unfortunately for yours truly, that train has sailed." (Austin Powers)
So you can have great fun with mixed metaphors, but metaphors may also help to demonstrate concepts and a greater understanding of valuable life lessons. Including, of course, a greater understanding of how God leads us to living better lives and in turn a better global community.

Just think of all the lessons taught by Jesus through the use of parables.  In many of these stories the parables themselves could be considered extended metaphors that Jesus used to make a point.  I bet right off the top of your head you can think of many including: The Tree and it's Fruit (Matthew 12:33-37), The Sower and the Seed (Matthew 13:3-9) The Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-42) and The Mustard Seed (Matthew 13:31-42)  These parables and metaphors really helped to provide a pathway for learning the lessons that Jesus was trying to convey.

Another of my favorite metaphors is found in Isiah 64:8: But now, O Lord, you are our Father, we are the clay, and you are out potter, we are all the work of your hand." 

So this meets the definition of a metaphor because we are not literally clay, but God molds us and guides us in certain ways. If we are open to suggestion and allowing God to mold us, and guide us, great things can come about.


Probably one of the most famous metaphors in the Bible, which brings comfort to many followers of Jesus is found in Psalms23:1: "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." 

This metaphor, placing humanity as sheep, is meant to emphasize that we need guidance in our lives and protection by the shepherd.  This particular parallel is found in several places. Remember the story of the Lost Sheep? (Luke 15:3-7)  This particular passage brings assurance that God will not forget any of his followers, even if we stray from the flock. I for one, sometimes have felt like a lost sheep at various times in my life. Haven't we all?

Not only do we learn from metaphors, but I believe the artistic and creative use of metaphors in our language can make learning easier and also a delight. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...