Friday, October 23, 2015

The True Inspiration of Live Music

On a recent trip to Des Moines, Iowa I had the distinct pleasure of enjoying a live classical symphony: the Des Moines Symphony playing Beethoven's Pastoral symphony and selections from Rimsky-Korsakov.  I am not a huge classical music fan, my rock and roll roots have a firm grip on my listening favorites, but the impact a symphony such as this could change my mind and at least broaden my horizons.

When I was in school, my sister played violin (quite well I might add!) and I remember going to concert after concert listening to renditions of classical music.  At that time I remember enjoying them, but sometimes getting bored...sitting and attentively listening as best any teenager can at that age.  I just wanted to get home and blast Zeppelin, Aerosmith or The Who.   In high school and part of my college days I remember going to numerous rock concerts and was always thrilled by the light shows, favorite songs and the intense "experience" of a live band.  No matter how good your stereo is, you just can't beat the sound of a bass guitar and drums that you feel from your toes up. Back in the day, I remember some concerts that the pot smoke blanketed the air so heavily, that you could get high just from inhaling.  But, that is fodder for a whole other story.....some other day.
The Rolling Stones
     The idiosyncrasies of a live performance is very evident in both classical and rock performances.  Yet, sometimes Rock sounds better with the advantage of studio technicians to mix , blend and perfect the musicians performance. Listening to a CD of classical music just does not capture the brilliance and significance of the sound. When studios and mixing boards are a part of the recording, the unique sounds of each individual instrument is sometimes lost in the mix.  Most classical orchestras have a larger number of instruments to achieve the full sound that is desired with each composition.  It may sound a little silly, but for this reason, I love watching all the violin bows pop up and down in perfect synchronization...it makes the music come alive. Yes, that does sound silly, but next time you go to a classical concert-check it out and you will know what I mean.
     I truly believe that when it comes to classical music: live performances are so much better. Yet, sometimes at home listening to a CD is better for the Stones, Black Eyed Peas, Bruno Mars and countless other rock/pop favorites in my collection. I am also a fan of Michael Jackson, but I won't be seeing him in concert anytime soon. (very sad)  The benefits to recorded music and having  a library of favorites at your disposal is incredibly valuable, but never underestimate the soul enhancing experience of a live performance.  Rock on, my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Even a rock concert can get you going. Especially when the musicians go off on some unexpected riff, the audience waving their lighters or cell phones in sync to the music...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...