Sunday, April 26, 2015

Tears and Fears

Progress is being made with recovery on my post-surgical Total Knee Replacement, yet there are fears that I have that still remain. As a  writer it just feels good to write about it....sometimes those near and dear to me are tired of hearing it anyway. I don't regret the decision to have Total Knee Replacement, but the pain and long term recovery was more than I had anticipated.  As of late, the thing that most concerns me.....no, terrifies me, is the prospect of having to go under anesthesia again for "manipulation under anesthesia " if I don't have the prescribed range of motion achieved by 6 weeks. Here is a description of such from Wikipedia:
Manipulation Under Anesthesia (MUA) is multidisciplinary manual therapy treatment system which is used to improve articular and soft tissue movement using specifically controlled release, myofascial manipulation, and mobilization techniques while the patient is under moderate to deep IV sedation using monitorized anesthesia care (MAC).[1]

This procedure is used by specially trained chiropractors and orthopedic surgeons as a means of breaking up scar tissue around a joint without complete range of motion. In cases of post operative total knee replacement, for example, if a patient is having difficulty achieving their flexibility after a 6-8 week period, the surgeon may elect to bring the patient back to the operating room, place them under anesthesia and perform a manipulation under anesthesia. The procedure takes a relatively short period of time (15- 20 min) and the surgeon can gain improved range of motion for the patient. This can also be performed for other orthopedic musculoskeletal limitations, as indicated. Knee manipulation under anesthesia (MUA) is indicated for total knee arthroplasty (TKA) patients who have not obtained at least 90° of flexion by the 6th postoperative week.[2]

I really don't want to seem like a wimp...I know the doctors and physical therapists are trying to do what is best for my long term recovery...I am just trying to be honest about my fears.  I have already helped myself by writing about this, but also the fact that I did my research...my doctor says I need to be at 105 degrees by May 14 (about week 6). I just reached 95 on Friday.  According to the above article, MUA is recommended for patients who have not reached 90 degrees by week 6 and I am already at 95.  Trust me, I will NOT rest on my laurels and keep trying to achieve better range of motion.  Maybe I should not worry so much, but HEY....that's a character flaw of mine.  Someday I will get past this, This too shall pass.....And I hope to write and blog about more interesting topics. Wish me luck....I am off to do my PT exercises.

3 comments:

  1. Wow...it is amazing the progress that can be made in 24 hrs. In PT today I reached 100 degrees Range of Motion and I pretty much am out of the range of needing the MUA. Can't tell you what a relief that is! Hope to still make more progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great progress, hope to see more writing soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...hit 105 at PT yesterday. Ya-hoo! Apparently MUA won't be needed..Whew! Each day I am doing better, with less pain. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...