Wednesday, May 18, 2022

For the Love of Lighthouses

It is no small wonder that I chose a lighthouse logo for the inside cover of my recent book. It's kind of my "thing"...I am fascinated by the beauty and history of lighthouses. Not only are they interesting structures, the fact that they both literally and figuratively illuminate our world is an inspiration to me.  I originally published a blog on this topic several years ago, but sometimes you have a topic that is worth revisiting.  With the summer travel season upon us, the possibility of lighthouse viewing increases! And yes....I still have a love of lighthouses and seek them out in my travels. 

Another reason that I chose to revisit one of my favorite topics is a gift I received recently from a dear friend of mine. (Thank you so much Joan...you know I love it.)  It is a framed stitchery of a relatively famous East coast lighthouse: The Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse, located in Chesapeake Bay.  It is the most recognized lighthouse in Maryland.  Looking at the beautiful stitchery I realized that I "should" know this one, but I had to do my research on it until I identified it. 

Thomas Point Shoal Light-Built 1825, Chesapeake Bay

 Its unique structure makes it stand out as not the standard style of lighthouse. It was originally built in 1825 and was modified several times and is the only screw-pile (construction style) lighthouse in the bay which stands at its original site.  A photograph of the stitchery, does not do it justice to admire the colors and textures, but the above photo shows the unique lighthouse that the stitchery was based on. 

Fellow admirers of Lighthouses will agree with me that these majestic structures provide an inspiration and tales of their colorful histories abound. Not only are they interesting to visit, they provide an ideal subject for photography. They always "stay put" and don't move while you frame out that perfect shot.  Also, it never ceases to amaze me that no two lighthouses are alike and they are as varied as the shorelines they beautify.

 I believe Lighthouses have evolved from their historical roots as a guide to ships in turbulent waters and rugged, dangerous coastlines to landmarks of great historical significance and beauty. Not only do they serve to guide ships, but they have an air of spirituality about them to guide troubled souls in a world of darkness.  Their beacons shine in such a way that they provide an inspiration to all who view them.  How can one look upon a majestic lighthouse perched on a cliff or at the far end of a pier and not help but smile at its beauty.

Living in the Midwest, I feel honored that we have the greatest concentration of lighthouses anywhere in the world.  By virtue of the five Great Lakes, that provide hundreds of miles of coastline, lighthouses  were needed to provide safe navigation.  In recent years, many of the lighthouses have not continued to operate and function as navigating tools, with the advent of more technologically advanced methods replacing them.  Yet, since many are steeped in history and tradition, there are efforts to restore and maintain them. For more information, an interesting site on preservation is: www.lighthousepreservation.org

It is interesting when visiting a community that is fortunate enough to have a lighthouse; the local residents utilize it as a focal point and a tool for orienting. “Oh, that cottage is located just south-east of the lighthouse”, one might say; makes things easier to pinpoint.  Also, many times a specific lighthouse is symbolic to the area in which it is found and has unique characteristics to only that lighthouse.  That is the exciting thing about lighthouses: each one is different and each one has their own special features and attributes. Not all are the tall beacons rising high on a rocky cliff.  Many are actually relatively small structures, but are situated on a jutting landscape so as to shine their light on the water.  It never ceases to amaze me the different sizes, shapes and features inherent with all the different lighthouses.

When viewing, and visiting a lighthouse I try to appreciate the craftsmanship of the actual building and of course the view from the top, if one is able to gain access to the tower. In addition to the physical beauty you are surrounded by, it is wondrous to imagine the history, local lore and stories therein.



As a lover of the National Parks, I have collected "stamped entries" in my Passport for the National Parks. But did you know there is also a Passport for collecting "Stamps" of US Lighthouses? I also add little photographs to mine. The Passport is available from the United States Lighthouse Society.  I was surprised, and delighted, that the US Lighthouse Society is based out of the same small Washington town that I have visited several times; my sister-in-law lives there: Hansville. Several walks along the beach included trips to this charming lighthouse. The Point No Point Lighthouse was built in 1879 and is the oldest lighthouse in Puget Sound. If you are interested in more information on lighthouses and/or to get your own Passport, their web site is: uslhs.org

Point No Point Lighthouse-Hansville, Washington

When close to a lighthouse I can’t help but feel a sense of serenity and guidance, a connection between the creations of man and the turbulence of waters of Mother Nature; both the sea and the massive stretches of fresh water lakes. Here is one of my favorite iconic lighthouses in the Midwest: Split Rock Lighthouse on Lake Superior (Minnesota). It was built in 1910 and sits atop 127 foot cliff.  Now that is quite a cliff! I have visited there several times.  Tours are available and it is operated by the Minnesota Historical Society.  And I will say the gift shop is pretty awesome too for all the Lighthouse items you can imagine! Truly awesome to learn how the structure was built and to hear the stories of how it has helped mariners on the turbulent waters of Lake Superior.

Split Rock Lighthouse-Minnesota


 

St. Joseph Lighthouse ~ Michigan

Shown here is the St. Joseph Lighthouse on Lake Michigan. (St. Joseph, Michigan) Since it is situated across from Chicago on Lake Michigan, lighthouses were built at the St. Joseph location dating back to 1832, but the current structures were built in 1907. This is a lighthouse with such character and seems rather diminutive with it's small "partner" building. The lighthouse itself is not that tall, but sits atop the pier as it juts out  approximately 1,000 feet out onto the turbulent waters of Lake Michigan.  I have walked all the way to the end of the pier to take in the view from the lighthouse.  Catwalks above the pier were built so that the lighthouse keepers could access the lights when the seas were rough and waved crashed over the pier. Walking on the pier on a sunny, summer day, I envisioned what it would have been like on the catwalks with snow and ice below you.

St. Joseph Lighthouse in winter, Michigan


This particular lighthouse is frequently photographed when artfully depicted covered with snow and ice; as shown in the photo here.


So the next time you have an opportunity to visit a lighthouse, take the time to enjoy it’s unique design and think of its rich history. Ask a local about the history and the folktales of the lighthouse...I'll bet there is a story to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...