Sunday, December 1, 2019

Finding Joy

I am an avid list maker, to the point of obsession. It helps keep my Bi-Polar brain on track and everyone has to admit, there is a great deal of satisfaction in crossing items off your list upon completion. I always loved this meme about adding "Drink Coffee" on one's to do list. Now I have another item I would like to add to the very top of the list: Find Joy. On the surface, seems like a trivial task and there are days when...we know the ones, when it seems like an insurmountable task. Yet, when you add it to the to do's everyday, it's amazing when you not only cross it off your list, but can add tally marks for the joy you can find in every day life.

Even the seemingly littlest thing can be magnified to a truly Joyful moment in your day, especially when you are actively seeking JOY. Today I saw a black squirrel burrowing in about 5 inches of snow today. His black fur was easy to spot against the new fallen snow and he was so comical to watch because he kept popping up and down. Either burying nuts or seeking some...he was so entertaining to watch. Made me smile, and to me, that is joyful. In the craziness of everyday life, it helps heal us when we look for the joy. It helps diminish the pain and make all the not so pleasant tasks a little more bearable. Finding JOY and recognizing those things that bring us joy help to generate gratitude. Then when we are grateful, it in turn creates JOY. Its cyclical.

Today is the first day of Advent on the Christian calendar.  Advent means "coming" in Latin and as Christians we are preparing our hearts and minds for the coming of the celebration of the birth of Christ.  John the Baptist proclaimed this coming in Mark 1 2-3:  As it is written in the prophet Isaiah, "See I am sending my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way; the voice of one crying out in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.' "
It is also the beginning of the stressful season with all those TO-DO lists that will most likely weave their way into everyone's lives these days.  Things we do to "prepare the way of the Lord.."

Set up tree...shop for gifts...prepare for Christmas party...bake cookies...plan Christmas meals...set-up guest rooms...write Christmas letter and cards..... (just to name a few)

The holiday season is different for everyone, perhaps everyone's lists have different priorities, but I believe that we could all benefit by adding Find Joy to our lists.
Yet, sometimes as Christians we forget what the beauty of the season is all about: celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Yes, it's obvious....but sometimes we need to bring back the GRATITUDE  for blessings and bring back the JOY. 
 

I personally find encouragement in seeking joy, it helps make the rough part of our journey more tolerable. So I will try to find the Joy in the every day....even if it is a little squirrel frolicking in the snow.   Julie Etta Smith

 

2 comments:

  1. nice - I think I'll try putting FIND JOY at the top of my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strongly recommended...makes your day to day tasks go much easier!

      Delete

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...