Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Ta-Dah...The GNP is complete!

After 6 months of reading, typing, collecting information and old photographs for my Grandma Newton Project (or GNP as my husband nicknamed it), the book is complete! So excited to have finished the project, but it is bittersweet; in some ways I am sad that it's over.  It has been for me such a journey filled with so much laughter and probably more tears than I care to count. Tears were from the sadness of those people in the diaries that I miss. And some were tears of laughter.  Yet, admittedly there were tears of frustration on formatting my book and getting my computer to do what I wanted it to. What, it can't read my mind?!?
 The book is based on 17 years of diaries that my Grandmother kept. When she passed, she wanted me to have the diaries and since I was the writer in the family she wanted me to write something based on them. The book I have created is semi-biographical, but is more about memories shared with our family members. I hope people can read this and fondly remember Orah Preston Newton.
 It also has brought revelations and new insights about not just my Grandmother, but the way the different generations treat each other. My Grandma was fortunate to have so many people in her life looking after her and taking care of her in the so-called "Golden Years". Some older people are not so fortunate. I hope that anyone who reads this can learn that we can always learn something from those that come before us. We also need to remember that if we survive long enough, we too will grow older. Betty Friedan was a wise woman who said that: "Age is not 'lost youth', but a new stage for opportunity and strength."

I wrote this book as a memorial and remembrance for the family of my Grandmother. I plan on getting several copies to my cousins and family, but if you want a sneak peak it is on Amazon (create space) under the title: "A Remembrance...Grandma Newton's Diaries"  Both my mother and myself are listed as authors. 

This book has been a wonderful learning experience, but I plan on taking the summer off before embarking on my next book.  I do intend to keep on blogging.  Now working on the Apostle Islands article...what a beautiful part of the country!
Hope my family enjoys this book, I will be delivering it to them soon! I think you would have liked this one Grandma, filled with some wonderful memories.                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...