Saturday, March 28, 2015

Medical Leave of Absence

When I first started this blog, I wanted to keep it updated on a weekly basis and keep the topics fresh and interesting.  I still hope to do that...but I am taking some necessary time off from my writing. It is getting down to the wire. In just a few days I will be undergoing surgery for Total Knee Replacement. Since I have arthritis, the cartilage in my knee has eroded away to the point that I am now bone on bone....so that pretty much necessitates a replacement.  I am optimistic about my prognosis and hope to have much more mobility in the long run (without the pain)!
 Living with arthritis article
Since I am a writer, it is easy for me to write about things I am experiencing and also things I want to learn more about. Arthritis is no exception.  I am now in the process of writing a very interesting article about the disease itself, therapies for it and different coping mechanisms. Until I started writing this, I did not realize that arthritis is more prevalent than most people believe and there are many different types of arthritis.  Osteoarthritis ( the type I was diagnosed with) is the most common-27 million Americans have it.
So here is a diagram showing the diminished cartilage in a damaged knee.  I look at these diagrams, and also at my own x-rays and I think; "Damn, no wonder my knee hurts so much!"
I am not shy to admit that I am nervous about the upcoming weeks, but it does bring me alot of comfort knowing that my family and so many friends are supporting me in this.  I was told I probably can't drive for 6 weeks....Wow. That is hard for me when I am accustomed to being so independent. In some ways, it can be viewed as a blessing because it makes me appreciate good health and the good people that help me on a day to day basis.(I love you folks so much...you know who you are.)
 The Optimism of Spring
As I write these words, it's 30 degrees out and there are patches of snow here and there.  In a few weekends the daffodils and tulips will be shooting up and hopefully I will soon be up and about and back to be writing schedule.  I think it is so funny that I would title this a Medical Leave of Absence, when after all I am my own boss.  Yet, I have a certain degree of self-inflicted stress- I am such a slave driver...even with my self.  What is that expression-"You are your own worst critic." Pretty true for this gal. See you again in a few weeks.....Post Surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here-I welcome open dialogue & try to respond quickly. Thanks for your feedback.

The Magic in Mentoring

 I really wish I had a mentor. I could use some  technical assistance and at least some moral support on my current project.  I am in the pr...